Free Oar and Paddle Plans
There are many good free plans for oars, canoe paddles and kayak paddles including Aleut style
Here is a collection that I have put together. If I missed some let me know.
Making your own nice wooden oars is very satisfying. Here are a few plans but also good articles for paddle and oar making
Email me if a plan link is broken. I try to update everything often but the internet is a fast paced place. (and I'm quite poky)
Choose your material carefully so you don't end up with a warped oar :( as I did in my wooden oar making experiment.
Free Paddle and Oar Plans
- Free Plans for Simple Oars Article by Spark Geissler
- Free paddle Plans Plans for a canoe paddle from an old book in my family
- Free paddle plans, single and double bladed, from Michael Storer. Famous for his Goat Island Skiff. He has a new row boat design.
- Greenland Style Paddle Building Article by George Ellis. Guillemot kayak .com
- Instructable on Making a west greenland style kayak paddle
- Chuck Holst Greenland Paddle Plans with youtube video from Matt Johnson.
- New Zealand's National Sea Kayaking Body Several plans for Greenland Paddles
- From PDRacer.com Quick and easy oars.
- Pete Culler Long Oars. PDF either opens or downloads depending on your settings.
- Chesapeake Marine Design Oars (pdf)
- Woodworker's Journal Make a Northwoods canoe paddle
- Oeko Travel Classic Oars
- Toledo Community Boat House Oars
- Free Plans and instructions to build Oars Bob Smalser builds some nice oars as a wedding-gift for his oldest son.
- Aleut Eskimo Style Kayak paddle from Chris Brown. Step by step with photos and diagrams. His experiences and experiments.
- Nice drawing for a Free Aleut style paddle In Italian, get Google to translate but the plans can easily be figured out.
- A useful article on Greenland paddle Compared to Aleut, In Italian! get google to translate. Paddling technique.
- Geodesic Airolites has a oar page
- Free Paddle Plans and instructions from Words n Wood fun ramble through many woodworking projects.
- Outdoor Life has a quick and easy oar page. Not super fine but quick and easy!
- Bob Gillis carves a nice canoe paddle from the Primitive ways website
- Free Canoe Paddle Templates from Ashes pdf page
If you plan on making wooden oars or paddles check that the dimensions are good for your boat, longer is usually better.
I try to be accurate and check my information, but mistakes happen. Some free plans are good but others are worth exactly what you paid for them.email me if you find mistakes, I'll fix them and we'll all benefit: Christine
This information is for general knowledge. If you plan to build a boat, make a wooden canoe paddles or wooden oars, or anything, check and recheck. Work safely. I have not tested most of these plans so there could be mistakes.