Drogues and Sea Anchors Some of my Research
This is a compilations of interesting articles and reports on sea anchors and drogues. There is a great deal of controversial and contradictory info out there. Here are some of the more reliable sources I have found.
- US Coast Guard Report on Drogues Investigation of The Use of Drogues To Improve The Safety of Sailing Yachts, Published in 1987.
- Yachting World article on Drogues and Sea Anchors. Test results.
- A PDF article on making a series drogue by David Lynn. Several pages on heavy weather tactics and the benefits of series drogue. Good info on storm tactics.
- Sail Blogs article Para anchor vs series drogue Taken from Coast guard information. Good Reading
- A lifeboat deploys a drogue Article from Yachting Magazine.
- Good Old Boat article on Drag Devices: Sea Anchors and drogues by Cary Deringer. An overview of the issues good and bad to do with using Drag devices.
Roger Taylor in his Junk rigged Corribee called MingMing. Makes me dream to see these long voyages. At about 5:40 he deploys his series drogue and is rewarded with calmer conditions. It's a longish video but I like to watch this just for the sense of adventure I get vicariously. You tube video http://www.youtube.com/embed/DrTfbjnUZWY?rel=0
Australian Coast guard deploying and recovering a series drogue. you tube video http://www.youtube.com/embed/srdmp-uPhWQ?rel=0
Deploying a para anchor Fiorentino publicity video showing a paraanchor being set out.
Recovering a para anchor Fiorentino publicity video.
Sailrite also has a drogue kit video
I compiled a web page with many of the My web page on sea anchors and Drogues
If you ever need a drogue and you don't have one you can have some success slowing the boat with buckets on a line or any object towed.
I try to be accurate and check my information, but mistakes happen.email me if you find mistakes, I'll fix them and we'll all benefit: Christine