Tanzer banner

Now What?

I have a sailboat but I have no idea what to do next.

First, I figured out how to put together some proper mooring lines complete with snubbers and chafe gear. I'm on a swing mooring and there can be some significant waves. The lines have to be good.

I also had a mast and it's not a big leap of imagination to figure out that I needed to put it up. I was worried about this but it turned out to be a simple procedure.

My club the Toronto Sailing and Canoe Club, has a manual crane on one of the docks. You make a strong loop if rope and place it under the spreaders on the mast. It is then a simple matter of lifting the mast a lot like lifting a person under the arms. The mast is guided to the base, a big bolt is put in and the stays are attached to the front, back and sides. There was one fastener missing on a side but since there are 2 on each side I just tied the missing one and searched high and low for a replacement, hoping that there would not be a day of high wind or big waves that would break the rope I had used to tie the stay in place.

The boom went on without any problems.

The nice thing about buying a standard boat already made instead of making one yourself, is that the things fit together and are proven to work. No experimenting necessary.

Lesson 4

Old boats have old parts and they will be difficult to replace.

I had to find the missing barrel so I could fasten my side stay properly. No one had one that would fit. Eventually someone at The Rigging Shoppe in Scarborough looked into his magic box of old parts and found the barrel that was missing, it helps tighten a stay. It was half the price of a new modern replacement. Throughout they have given me super service.

I then pulled out the boom vang, a sort of block and tackle that stops the boom from lifting and I'm told, helps to trim the sail. It went on without a hitch. By this time I had gotten my hands on a copy of the owner's manual for the Tanzer 22. Although they assume you sort of know what you are doing... it was helpful. The vocabulary is intimidating but I'll learn.

I eventually got the sails on. It seems like a very simple thing, but for someone who had only worked on a small boat with a sprit sail, the large bermudan rig was mysterious. It was like putting together a huge puzzle that I could fit in.

Most of the bits and pieces seemed to be there but all in a box. I had found a sailcover and taken it home to clean and sew up. It went onto the sail.

And the main sheet attaches to ... WHAT?

It was now time to attach the main sheet. The line that you hold on or cleat, and use to adjust the angle of the sail. It is a block and tackle with a cleat at one end. It attaches to the bottom of the cockpit. Some people have installed travellers instead and these attach to the seats and spans the width of the boat.

I went to clip my sheet in and realized that the previous owner had neetly repaired any attachment for the sheet and I was left with a clamp in my hands and nowhere to attach it. I went online and figured out what was needed and a generous fellow from the Tanzer yahoo group sent me one that he had removed from his Tanzer 22 when he put in a traveller.

Main Sheet Attachment floor plate for tanzer 22

These are photos that people sent me so I would understand what it should look like.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I am ready to install the new floor thingie

To install this piece you have to wedge your body BELOW the cockpit in the side lockers. It is unbelievebly tight and claustrophobic at first. I eventually got the attachment bolted in securely, and bedded down in fancy waterproof putty.

After a moment of panic when I thought I was wedged in under the floor and could not move, I managed to calm down and crawl out. I finally had a place to attach my main sheet.

I could now attach my sheet to the floor of the cockpit. It was a proud moment when I had finished tightening the mast turnbuckles, installed the new halyards and lines to replace the dirty and weatherworn originals and figured out what to do with the topping lift.

As far as I could see, I had a boat, safely moored, with a mast up, sails attached, and in usable shape.!!

I could no longer put the first sail off. I was ready. maybe...


SO IT CONTINUES ... Part 3 Here...

I try to be accurate and check my information, but mistakes happen.

email me if you find mistakes, I'll fix them and we'll all benefit: Christine