Free Wooden Skiff Boat Plans
The term SKIFF is used in this page to describe a flat bottomed boat (or mostly flat) with a pointed bow and square back. This is often the design for fishing boats. There are many Skiffs that are set up for sailing and because of their flat bottoms can be made to plane making them fast and exciting boats.
Down Under the term SKIFF is also used to describe several classes of racing dingies.
Because of their simpler lines, skiff are often easier and quicker to build particularly in plywood.
Check my boatbuilding resources. These are articles from my website and some outside links and build diaries.
There are some pretty good free plans out there and there are some stinkers. I have not checked these for accuracy or ease of building. Do your homework and make sure you check the plans carefully. Boat plans are like everything else. You get what you pay for.
In boatbuilding, the plans are a very small part of the total cost. It's worth paying a bit more to get easier and better plans, and often support from the designer.
Free Skiff Plan
Email me if a link is broken or if I've missed a boat. I try to keep my links accurate but things change quickly on the web.
Some of these links are to books which contain plans and instructions. This is usually a good cheap way of getting plans
- Free plans for the Barton Skiff from Gavin Atkin's In the boatshed. Many more free plans, have fun.
- Free Skiff plans download from Duckworks. Steven Lewis design.
- Free Plan for 2 sheet skiff have fun there are several other designs including the Portuguese dinghy.
- Another free boat by Hannu's Boatyard.
- The Sound SchoolFree Plan foar 14 ft skiff and detailed instruction in pdf.
- Free Plan for fishing skiff Old Mechanix illustrated plan from Svenson
- Frugal Skiff Series from Shoestring Shipyard. Not quite free but cheap
- Free Sea Skiff Old plans offered by DIY Wood Boat
- Another book with free plan: Building the Weekend Skiff
- Instant Boatbuilding with Dynamite Payson: 15 Instant Boats for Power, Sail, Oar, and Paddle
- Forest and Stream Rowing Skiff plans from Duckworks Good Free plans
I try to be accurate and check my information, but mistakes happen. ALSO keep in mind that not all boat plans are well designed. Do your homework. I have not built these boats.email me if you find mistakes, I'll fix them and we'll all benefit: Christine