Wooden Dory Boat Plans and Kits
Many boat plans are offered online. Some are free others are surprisingly expensive. Free is not always best or most economical in the end, do your homework. Some Great designs are available free though. My little Apple pie dinghy was a free design
I have a page on dories if you want more information. There are a couple of interesting video links too.
Many old dory plans result in lines that were in use when dories were a common sight on fishing grounds. They are designed for materials in common use at the time, and ended up being heavier boats than we now build. When using lightweight materials will find that your dory might ride too high in the water for comfort and safety. Finding a couple hundred pounds of fish to stabilize your dory is not always easy. Do your homework and use plans that are suitable for the stitch and glue with plywood if that is what you are planning to use.
Many modern dory plans have been shortened to accommodate modern requirements. This further destabilizes the boat. It's a funny tradition that a 16 foot dory was not 16 feet overall but rather at the bottom. They were actually much larger!
Well worth reading is Michael Storer's article on dories.
If you're planning a boatbuilding project you might like to check my boatbuilding resources. These are articles from my website and some outside links and build diaries.
Dory Boat Plans in no Particular Order.
Email me if a link is broken or if I've missed a boat. I try to keep my links good but things change quickly on the web.
- Dory Plans Video, plans, youtube, instructions. Supplies for boatbuilding, They have a building forum too.
- Spira International has boat plans, in particular dory style drift boats. He has Kayaks, Ultralights and power boats. He also offers a FREE kayak and a Free Dory plan. Good website. He has video and lots of instructions.
- The Willapa 17 feet powered Dory has a wider transom than some. Free Plans from Sandy Point Boat Works.
- Lark Dory Plans from Selway Fisher Designs. This boat can be built in 2 parts as a take apart boat.
- Traditional Down East Dories plans from Instantboats. (Dynamite Payson's site) includes sailing, rowing and St.Pierre Dories.
- South Haven Dory Plans Free plans (offsets) and instructions with construction photos.
- 21 Ft Motor Dory from Nexus Marine Corporation.
- John Welsford Light Dory MK II Rowing Dory
- Manuel's Dory From Thomas J Hill Boat Design.
- Hunky Dory Design Large motor dory from GlenL This is the show and tell page but the plans are available. They also have lots of info about building.
- Jim Michalak's Sportdory Plans are available from
- Vintage Projects has free online dory plans. Row or Sail.
- Light Dory from Fyne Boat Kits
- Downriver and Grand Canyon Dories Plans, kits Custom build. High Desert Dories
- 11 Foot Plywood Dory designed by John Bell with Free PDF plans. 14 feet version
- Clark Craft Lark 12 Dory PLans He has many other versions including sail and row.
- Sea Swift Sam Devlin's sailing dory
- Headwater 16 and 18 By Tracy O'Brien, Fishing motorized Dories.
- Pelin Plans for power Dories.
- Free 3 sheet dory Instructions and photographs. Hannu's Boatyard, He has several models.
- The Echo Bay Dory Skiff Dory Plans from Clint Chase. He has several models. Lovely boats.
- Stickleback Dory designed by IAIN Oughtred. Plans sold by Wooden Boat Magazine. They have other dories as well.
- Dories by Iain Oughtred Oughtred Boats has several lapstrake plywood designs. Plans and Kits
- Crocker Compass Sailing Dory from Sailing New England
- Northeaster Dory Chesapeake Light Craft has plans and kits geared to amateur boatbuilders.
- Ray's River Dories has Dories in kits, McKenzie River Drift Boats
- Tendercraft Kits Located in Toronto, Canada
- Don Hill McKenzie River Drift Boat Plans for Dories and others
- Dorycycle Plans foot powered dory plans by Philip Thiel
- McKenzie River Drift Boat Plans from Altair Industries
- Active III William and John Atkin Pirogue Rigged Dory
- River Dancer Drift Boat by Common Sense Boats.
- Boatplans.dk offers a Hjerting Pram which pretty much looks like a sailing dory.
- Swan Boat has many boat designs including some very dory like boats. They don't call them dories but ...
- Westlake Boats offer boat plans for Laurel, an inshore dory-skiff.
- The Dory Book John Gardner compiled many plans and offsets in his books and articles. The link is to Amazon.
- Drift Boats & River Dories: Their History, Design, Construction, and Use another book with plans and designs. Roger Fletcher.
- Building Badger: & the Benford Sailing Dory Designs Benford Sailing Dory Designs another book. By Jay Benford.
- Individual plans from Benford Design GroupIncluding a St Pierre style Dory.
- American Small Sailing Craft: Their Design, Development and Construction Howard Chapelle's book has dories. (From Amazon)
I try to be accurate and check my information, but mistakes happen. ALSO keep in mind that not all boat plans are well designed. Old Banks Dories are particularly tricky because they were notoriously unsteady until they had some weight in them. Check the boat forums, many people have built dories. I have not built these boats and I can't recommend or proscribe any.email me if you find mistakes, I'll fix them and we'll all benefit: Christine